Profile of the Artist
I attended Limerick School of Art & Design, where I graduated in Sculpture in 1991. After graduation, I qualified in Art, Craft & Design Teaching in 1993 and taught art full-time in Árd Scoil Mhuire, Corbally in Limerick from 1993 to 1999, and completed a Masters Degree in Education at the University of Limerick in 1999. I was born in Youghal, County Cork, where I now live and work as a full-time artist.
Much of my work explores and records the landscape, light and views which surround me daily. Irish landscape has always been my main interest. I initially created abstract watercolours, based on the wild landscape and light of West Clare, culminating in my first exhibition, held in Cork in 2004. As the work developed, the subject matter became more representational, the perspective more traditional, and I began to work in oil on canvas.
In February 2007, I held my first show of oil paintings in Limerick, Landscapes in oil 1, a series of ten landscapes based on studies of Ferry Point, on the breakwater of the River Blackwater, just outside my studio. The show sold out on the night of the opening and lead directly to a series of commissioned pieces for a Limerick-based collector.
I worked full-time on these commissions until June 2008 when I started working on my next show, Landscapes in oil 2. This is a continuation from the last work, still directly inspired by and responding to my surroundings. The exhibition was held in the gallery at Milano, Limerick in March 2009 and also sold out. I have since completed commissioned pieces for various clients and work for a group exhibition which was held in the Jack O'Patsy Gallery, Youghal, Co.Cork in December 2009 and a body of work for a group show in The Grainstore at Ballymaloe, Harvest opened on August 11th and ran until September 18th, 2010. 2011 was a year of working through some new ideas. This year I will be developing that work.
- 2004 - 'Series of Watercolours'
- Jack O'Patsy Gallery, Youghal, Co.Cork. Sold Out
- 2007 - 'Landscapes in Oil 1'
- Private exhibition, Castleconnell, Co.Limerick. Sold Out
- 2009 - 'Landscapes in Iil 2'
- Milano Gallery, Milano, Limerick. Sold Out View works from this exhibition
- 2009 - Group Show
- Jack O'Patsy Gallery, Youghal. Co.Cork, Sold Out
- 2010 - 'Harvest' Group Show
- The Grainstore, Ballymaloe, Shanagarry, Co.Cork View works from this exhibition
- 2010 - Group Show
- Cork City Gaol Heritage Centre
- 2011 - Group Show
- The Sirius Gallery, Cobh, Co. Cork
- 2014 - Field Work
- Smock Alley Theatre, Temple Bar, Dublin